Businesses and residents in Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset with broadband connections of less than 2Mb/s can apply for a subsidy towards their wireless broadband connection.
What does this broadband subsidy scheme do?
This scheme can offer support towards the cost of the equipment and installation of a wireless broadband connection. If you are eligible you will be issued with a code you can redeem with Wessex Internet, which is worth up to £350.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the scheme:
- You currently can’t get a broadband service of more than 2Mb/s.
- You are not in current plans to get fibre broadband OR you will not benefit within the next year. This will be checked for you when you make an application.
- You own the property you are applying for. If not, you will need to speak to your landlord.
- You must live in either Dorset, Somerset or Wiltshire.
Check your internet speed
Click here to check what speeds are available at your home or business.
- Landline phone numbers usually produce more accurate results than checks on addresses. When you input your phone number, don’t include spaces.
- The top line of your result will show how the property is connected to the network, i.e. “Telephone number X on Exchange X is served by cabinet X.”
- Look at the top row of the table, if is states “FTTC” this means that fibre broadband (Fibre To The Cabinet) is available at the property already, and you will not be eligible for this scheme. If you can’t see any FTTC rows, fibre broadband is not currently available at your property.
- Remember to read the small print after the table. Sometimes it contains additional useful information about your area.
Great! What do I need to do?
- If you think that you may be eligible, please conduct a speed test by using www.speedtest.net and send a print screen of the results to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note you will only be eligible for the voucher if you are receiving download speeds of less then 2Mb per second.
- We will then apply for the voucher on your behalf and the BDUK team will be in contact to confirm you agree to the terms and conditions of the scheme. The terms and conditions can be found here.
- We will then confirm once your voucher has been issued, and we will contact you to complete your order.
- Enjoy the superfast speeds of Wessex Internet!
You can read more about the voucher scheme here: https://basicbroadband.culture.gov.uk/
Worth the wait. The service is so much faster and more consistent than we were getting with standard fibre.
We live in rural area of Wiltshire and have never enjoyed such incredible internet service until now. Wessex Internet is a game changer I recommend highly
Couldn't be happier! Full fiber was provided at no cost to us (using government vouchers) before schedule and everyone was extremely helpful and we have had no issues at all.
From initial enquiry to installation excellent service.
The Internet connection is a distinct improvement on our previous provider, measured by independent websites for upload and download speed and in practice probably saving up to a minute on large downloads for my work. The connection so far has proved more reliable: it used to drop fairly often and annoyingly in online meetings; this has not happened - so far. On the downside, Wessex were very vague about installation timetables and generally communicating and we are still waiting for them to repair something they broke during the installation.
very good service
Great service, friendly engineers who fitted cable and box's, good connection, will recommend to any rural household, thank you Wessex internet
Brilliant but now stuck with BT in Salisbury!
Very friendly and helpful and always happy to help !
very helpful and good service thank you
Fast and reliable, would appreciate more control over router settings e.g. DNS server
Very happy with the broadband service as well as having the ability to top up if we exceed the allowance, which hopefully will only be on rare occasions! We now have a Wessex VOIP phone installed which works perfectly.
Quick to install excellent service
Great service, super-fast broadband, very pleased.
Just moved house. Gave Wessex Internet two weeks notice of my moving date and everything was ready and working when we moved in. It’s been up solidly ever since - and with the advertised bandwidth.
I am absolutely delighted with Wessex Internet and cannot fault the service I have received so far. When I was looking at their service I was a bit put off by their prices, however considering I was paying BT £37 per month for both phone and broadband, for only £10 extra with Wessex Internet I have both a phone and broadband package. On the first day of getting Wessex Internet installed, I instantly saw the difference in my internet speed and reliability. Working from home, this has been a real game changer and has eliminated any obstacles I had faced before with a basic slow internet speed provided by BT. The Team have been really understanding and accommodating. The overall Customer Service experience I have received has been amazing. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a better reliable internet provider!
I am very pleased with the service and the equipment. It is nice to have such good and fast WiFi.
I am really pleased with the internet service provided by Wessex Internet, we live in the middle of nowhere and I never have expected the speed and service we have, it is better than we were expecting. The speed is constant, it doesn't drop out and we the whole family are able to enjoy a reliable service. We use it for gaming, streaming TV, movies, and home working.
very friendly, great job
Good service but there are times when the internet is not avaliable for some reason
Everything has been 5 star so far, cannot fault Wessex Internet. Now have a broadband speed I could only dream of a couple of months ago.